Re: invoking exp

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 May 2007 15:05:14 -0700

On May 25, 7:48 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Ben wrote:
> > 9.2.0.5 EntEd AIX5L
> > Is there a way to invoke export from a windows client machine and have
> > the .dmp file stored on that client machine? I'm thinking no, but I've
> > been wrong many times in the past.
>
> I am not aware of one but I sure hope the answer is no.

As the others have said, the file winds up where exp was run from. This is not so bad if there is a fast reliable network. I was running this for a while to do a nightly reload of data for a project, though it turned out to be faster to CTAS over a dblink for that case.

The correct answer is "it depends." Much as I despise Windows, if it can offload useless DSS queries from the production OLTP box, more power to it. Remember, the best performance comes from the SQL you don't run.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
MySQL's suitability in enterprise situations: