Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 May 2007 23:40:02 -0500

On 23 May 2007, hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> On 24 mai, 01:53, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>> > In practice,you cannot make your application as database
>> > independent by writing lots of stored procedures inPL/SQL. That's
>> > the reason people avoid PL/SQL because it is a proprietary Language
>> > of Oracle.
>>
>> Sorry but that's nonsense.You can doit and the better companies with
>> the better products do doit.

> Daniel, I have to say with Zizag that having to maintain
> synchronized a sizeable code base of stored procedures
> in three or four dialects is for me a *very* frightening
> perspective.

I really don't see how it is such a big deal. To me it is easier to get that accurate across all platforms than trying to do it within a single app. The database becomes one big static class offering up methods to be called. Then, behind the interfaces of procs, the database professionals for that platform use all of that database's features at their disposal. The schema itself can be a bit different on each platform if needed.

If you don't do it this way, then the database platform proprietary performance and functionality leak into the app.

> I suspect that only few companies - with lots of
> resources and very strong processes - will go that
> route
>
> Would you have examples of actual products that
> achieve database independance with SPs ?

Would you have any examples of actual products that achieve database independance without them? And lets throw in some big size datasets so that ansi sql must be bypassed.

--
Galen Boyer