Re: Moving 10g from server to server.

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 07:17:05 +0200

Comments embedded

On 11 May 2007 21:00:33 -0700, Joe <joe1977_at_tlen.pl> wrote:

>I need to move my Ora10g Standard E1 from old PC to the new One.
>However, this time, I am alocating tablespace, archivelogs and flash
>recovery area differently, since I have 3 logical hddrives. Curently
>my instance ir running everything on one disk.
>
>Question: during RMAN database recovery, does all data goes into
>tablespaces, created by me (in whichever disk drives I want), or does
>my new tablespaces and overall database setting has to be the same as
>they were on the old server.

RMAN is used for *physical* backup. Evidently, you will end up with the *same* datafiles, which may be on a different *location* depending on the *set newname* commands you feed it, prior to the actual restore command

>Question: what would be the most efficient way to move database
>instance from one server the another knowing that disk allocations for
>tablespaces, archivelogs, etc will be changes.

It depends. If you are going to relocate data to different tablespaces or going to reduce or increase the # of datafiles , export import, as RMAN is used for *physical* backup and restore. Please study the impact of the word *physical*.

>Also, I may want to change buffer cache size and some other
>parameters. How do they (this changes) will affect overall RMAN
>database restoration (migration to the new machine).

They will imoact database operation as in a normal situation.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA