Re: adding a new column to 19 million records table - how does it really works on 10g?

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 May 2007 07:08:54 -0700

On May 10, 9:46 am, Joe <joe1..._at_tlen.pl> wrote:
> On May 10, 12:39 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
>
> > Adding a column is just an update in dictionary. It is immediate.
> > Filling the new column will take more time.
> > There will mey be not fragmentation but row migration after that
> > and a table reorganization may be useful (depending on how many
> > rows will migrate).
>
> > Regards
> > Michel
>
> well.. i takes not even a second to add a new column WITH a default
> value of 0 (through Toad) on 19M records table.
> Can you tell me some more about table reorganization? Do I have to
> worry about it or just leave it up to Oracle magic? :)

Because most of your columns are varchar2 - variable length - most probably you had enough free space for "0" values. Once the zeros start changing to larger values you may have to reorg the table. Anyway, you should check the current state and keep an eye on it until you can do a reorg (online or offline). Received on Thu May 10 2007 - 09:08:54 CDT