Re: Why did rebuilding index fix our cache buffers chains latch issues

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 22:22:42 +0100

Was the block the root block, a branch block, or a leaf block. If branch or leaf, was it a single block that was permanently hot, or did the hot block slowly move along the index ?

If you don't do deletes, then it should not have been possible for the index to be 90% empty unless it was created 90% (or more) empty in the last rebuild. There is a bug in 9i, however, which results in sequence-based indexes (or time-based indexes) with a key of less than about 32 bytes running at 50% empty because the "90/10" split doesn't appear when it should.

Which version of Oracle ?

Is it possible that you have some code that managed to do a number of large inserts followed by a rollback - as that might make it possible to engineer this effect at the branch block level ?

Are the indexes built in a tablespace using ASSM ?

Can we assume it is a simple B-tree index ?

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis