Re: How about tailredo?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:44:57 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Brian Peasland wrote:

>> What is the use of this application? I already have Log Miner to show
>> me the contents of the online redo log. Obviously, this is not in
>> realtime like a "tail -f" is, but then why do I care? Do I really need
>> to see the transactions scroll by. In many cases, they would be
>> scrolling by too fast to read anyway. I have some databases that fill
>> up a 1GB online redo log file in less than five minutes. Not to
>> mention the resources now being utilized on your database server. LGWR
>> is writing to the log group. Eventually, ARCn will read from it. And
>> now there will be another process reading that file, while LGWR is
>> writing to it?
>>
>> I'm not trying to say that this idea does not have merit. I'm just
>> wondering what the practical application of this would be. I just do
>> not see it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brian

> For real-time debugging it might be of interest.

Personally, I'd rather dump the log file as Steve noted.

> For teaching students what Oracle is doing it would be of real value.

In an academic setting, sure. And even in a business setting for the DBA to learn. But in either case, I do not need to see the changes in real time. I can dump the log and look at the results.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net