Re: Login problem

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:02:29 +0200

paulquinlan100_at_hotmail.com schreef:
> Hi
>
> I've starting getting an error on starting up a database instance
> saying:
>
> Agent connect to Instance. Status: Failed
> Details ORA-12505: TNSlistener doesn not currently know of SID given in
> connect descriptor (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)
>

> I've checked the status of the listener using: lsnrctl status test and
> the database instance doesnt appear, although another instance does.
> Its only setup on an un-networked laptop so nothing will have changed
> from yesterday, when it was working fine. Below are my tnsnames.ora and
> listener.ora

Either be patient (your listener.ora does not have an entry for orcl, so the instance has to register, which takes up to 3 minutes), or try this:
Start/Run/cmd
C:\> set oracle_sid=orcl
C:\> sqlplus system/manager

Note the is no @orcl on the sqlplus line; the set oracle_sid takes care of that. Also, as this type of connections (setting oracle_sid) is known as a bequeath connection, it uses no tcp/ip stack - listener needs not to be active

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...