Re: Slowest running Database routine

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:00:01 GMT

On Wed, 10 May 2006 04:09:54 -0700, Pratap wrote:

> Hi All
> can anybody suggest me how to find slowest running procedures/functions
> (like Top 10) in an application using Oracle 9i Database?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Pratap

You want to do profiling. Finally, the real application tuning and development methods are catching up with Oracle world! To my knowledge, the best method in Oracle9i is by enabling the event 10046, level 8 and analyzing the output.
Oracle 10g has some new and interesting possibilities. I apologize for sounding like an Oracle sales person. I am not one. There is a table called V$SESS_TIME_MODEL which provides interesting possibilities for application profiling. Unfortunately, V$SESS_TIME_MODEL provides only rough description, like "DB time", "parse time" "SQL exec time", so it isn't a complete replacement for the trace, but should be used in conjunction with the trace.

--
http://www.mgogala.com