Re: How about tailredo?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 17:07:16 GMT

What is the use of this application? I already have Log Miner to show me the contents of the online redo log. Obviously, this is not in realtime like a "tail -f" is, but then why do I care? Do I really need to see the transactions scroll by. In many cases, they would be scrolling by too fast to read anyway. I have some databases that fill up a 1GB online redo log file in less than five minutes. Not to mention the resources now being utilized on your database server. LGWR is writing to the log group. Eventually, ARCn will read from it. And now there will be another process reading that file, while LGWR is writing to it?

I'm not trying to say that this idea does not have merit. I'm just wondering what the practical application of this would be. I just do not see it.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net