does ASM recognize and allow for major/minor device numbers

From: <oracledoctor_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 May 2006 10:31:43 -0700

We are looking at the need of Veritas for Orcle RAC since we are planning on using ASM as our storage management system. The argument that has been put forth by the sys admins is that Veritas takes care of the devices 'under the covers'.

Say we had an HBA card that was device 1 and the disks attached where 1,2,3 and 4 so the major/minor numbes looked like this:

1,1
1,2
1,3
1,4

and we has a CD ROM device that was 2,1

we loose the HBA card and replace it with a new one. That device major number is now 3, making the major/minor numbers of that new HBA card:

3,1
3,2
3,3
3,4

How does ASM handle this? Is this something that the sys admins now need to track?

Any help is welcome.

Sebastian Received on Tue May 09 2006 - 12:31:43 CDT