Re: Poor Performance on Oracle9i - 9.2.0.7

From: Ralph Ganszky <rg_at_web.de>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 12:43:18 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:njir52pvfk0d59ukvortf5boeajo6pp2sp_at_4ax.com...
> On Sun, 7 May 2006 08:28:02 +0200, "Ralph Ganszky" <rg_at_web.de> wrote:
>
>>After setting it to 20GB you
>>should be able to allocate almost 20GB SGA.
>
> Which is of course pretty stupid, as the server will now going to page
> like hell.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Who said that he should allocate 20GB for the SGA. Ther are different other replys recommending ~9GB of SGA and 15GB PGA. This configuration ignores the OS as well. I only stated which size would be possible for the available RAM. It allways depends on the application and on other OS configurations (e.g. filesystem options) if the SGA could that high or not and how much he needs for PGA and OS. The only thing I would like to tell him is to check if he runs on a reasonable configured OS. I'm not familiar with Oracle Applicaitons and therefore don't want to recommed parameters for the database.

But may be you agree that on a 24GB Server it should be possible to allocate more than 2.78 GB for the SGA.

Best regards
Ralph Received on Sun May 07 2006 - 05:43:18 CDT