Re: Tuning on Oracle 10g and SQL Server 2005

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 03:16:55 GMT

On Wed, 03 May 2006 12:56:20 -0700, mleal wrote:

> Does anyone have some more detailed information about how Oracle and MS
> implement / allow Tuning on Oracle 10g and SQL Server 2005 and the
> differences between them?
>
> Which of them, In a deep comparison about it, allow better tuning and why.

You are asking roughly: what are the mechanical differences between a jet engine and a race car engine and which is better to maintain.

In our case, both engines move data. However, the way they do it is considerably different internally. And they both need very different tuning and maintenance techniques.

Most amazing is that neither one uses a totally static technology. Even at the 'between release' patch level, they application of a patch can require a significant change in tuning and/or maintenance method.

To begin to understand some of the differences, I would encourage reading Tom Kyte's books, especially
http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10008

And to understand one Oracle tuning method - in my opinion one of the better, if not the best, methods - I recommend reading http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/optoraclep/

I suspect the most important tuning method in both cases is to optimize the preprocessors ... the ones between the various chairs and keyboards.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com