Re: Tuning on Oracle 10g and SQL Server 2005

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2006 13:23:47 -0700

The both like having an adequate amount of physical memory. They both prefer a robust storage subsystem. They both run app SQL and possibly other code that developers dream up.

I'd start with checking the backups and applying OS security fixes. I'd then apply recent database server software patchsets/patches. If its an MS OS, I'd turn off the OS filesystem cache. Establish a baseline and tuning goals - so that you can know when to stop.
Make sure that statistics have been gathered and are current with the correct use of histograms.

Your time will likely be best spent tuning the app SQL and anything else that the developers throw at the box. After your app sql is well written - then consider tuning the database instance.

Now that I think about it, check out this site: http://miracleas.dk/index.asp?sprog=2

They're proficient at providing training and consulting for both MS SQL Server and Oracle database performance tuning.

-bdbafh Received on Wed May 03 2006 - 15:23:47 CDT