Re: raid 10 vs. ASM

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:06:14 +0200

steph wrote:
> 4 disks are all i've got - so i have to put os and software on a
> seperate partition ...

Then I'd do the RAID10 across all four disks with a 1MB stripe size as recommended by oracle (and IBM too btw.).
Do the software, OS, /tmp and so on on the innermost partitions (that's the slowest part of the disk) and the data,control, redo and other database files on the outer partitions. My personal choice (without any measurements) was redo/control outside, then structured data, then LOB data, then recovery and archived logs.

Whether you use raw or files depends on the properties of your file system. ext3 is pretty fast by now if you use direct and async io. Oracles cluster fs seems to be ok as well.

Four disks are a small database, performance and data wise, so I'd put my emphasis on easy maintenance.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Sat Apr 22 2006 - 05:06:14 CDT