Re: maximum # of connections per dispatcher

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2006 16:36:41 -0700

>I don't fully understand how it works, it seems to be 'sharing' the
>socket somehow between sessions? Let's say I have 4 connections and 16
>sessions enabled.. What happens if all 16 sessions want to execute
>something? In what wait will that result (if any).

Yeah, it queues up the requests
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c09procs.htm#19358

"In a shared server configuration, a network listener process waits for connection requests from client applications and routes each to a dispatcher process. If it cannot connect a client application to a dispatcher, the listener process starts a dedicated server process, and connects the client application to the dedicated server. The listener process is not part of an Oracle instance; rather, it is part of the networking processes that work with Oracle."

So you must look for lengthening queues and the waits in those views. After a while, you see dedicated server processes increasing, using up more memory than anticipated, eventually swapping and making the phone ring.

I'm no expert in MTS, other than having often thrown it out where misapplied to OLTP systems. It's a scalability hack - I just get more capacity.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.weird.tv/