Re: Free ODBC driver for Oracle on AIX?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2006 17:06:20 -0700

While MS created the ODBC standard it can be used to access any ODBC compliant database from any platform where an appropriate driver is provided.

I have used a driver from Data Direct to access a MS SQL Server database using the Oracle generic connectivity feature. Using this feature I was able to query and perform simple DML on MS SQL Server tables using SQL issued in my AIX hosted Oracle database. I know of no free AIX ODBC drivers. Prices vary widely but the Data Direct license was reasonable.

Note that ODBC drivers are not necessary to access Oracle from Oracle products as long as an Oracle client is available.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Apr 05 2006 - 19:06:20 CDT