Re: License model

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:32:22 GMT

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:57:36 +0000, noone wrote:

> HansF wrote:

>> Your case - 1 server, 2 CPU = 2 CPU licenses.
>>

> unless they are dual-core CPU's then they have changed their mind
> several times on how they are counted (2, 1.5, per core)
>
> Best solution is: Ask your sales rep - he may even get back to some time
> this year....

Yup.

Anyone relying on a public and potentially anonymous [noone?] source for legal or contractual information without verification is asking for a whack up the side of the head. Potentially with a baseball bat. (Where IS Billy when you need him?)

In any case - a core is still a CPU. Because of market pressure (thanks to whoever) people have forced the CPU price to vary based on how it's built, what real estate it shares with other CPUs, and even who sells it.

So - still 2 CPU licenses, but potentially with a "they share stuff and don't necessarily run at full capability, but that makes people happy" fudge factor.

Oh well ...

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com