Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Double Echo <doubleecho_at_your.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:27:55 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Double Echo wrote:
>
>> Even if SQL-Server is 'inferior', why does it matter?
>
> Depends on where the inferiority is. If it is scalability it may matter.
> If it is in performance it may matter. If it is in security and
> compliance with government regulations it matters a whole lot.

I couldn't agree more Daniel. My own experience has shown scalability to be a number one problem with SQL-Server. But the new features coming out in SS-2205 should not be ignored. There are improvements, and like other people I am waiting to see how it shakes out. You and I both know SQL-Server is not going away, if anything it is increasing its footprint by leaps and bounds. As a technologist, I am practically required to understand the product in order to make sure I understand it's usage in an environment, simply because of its pervasiveness, something even Oracle can't claim as much of--there will probably alway be orders of magnitude of MS-SQL compared to Oracle. That is largely in part because of marketing and branding of these products; Oracle pushing down from big shops into small shops, and MS-SQL pushing up from small shops into big shops. The collision, as we have seen in this thread is that thermocline that produces flame wars.

>> "Technical Superiority" was never a requirement for software marketing or
>> software sales.Some of the best technology available died in the
>> marketplace
>> simply because the products were never sold properly.
>
> Spoken like someone straight from c.d.informix. ;-)
>
> I think you've won the gold star on this one.
>
> Microsoft's inferiority, unfortunately, lies in the single operating
> system upon which it can be run. If it ran on Linux it might actually
> be a competitor. But I can't think of any amount of drugs or alcohol
> that would make me put mission critical data on Windows.

Unfortunately businesses are doing just that, putting their mission critical data in SQL-Server, but you already knew that. It is also important--for what it's worth--to remember that many shops are customers of various db products by fiat, they didn't necessarily select it because they wanted it, they are a customer because of a dependency on a db. Larry will be the first to tell us applications drive databases, not the other way around. And it is instructive for all of us to think first in terms of supporting businesses with good sound logic skills, and accept the fact that management does not always apply the same logic we do, if at all. Your skills should transcend product, plain and simple. Received on Thu Feb 23 2006 - 13:27:55 CST