Re: How do I trace hanging "connect / as sysdba"?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:44:37 +0100

DR wrote:
>> The network error is a ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error.
>> This indicates a networking error where
>> in fact no network substrate is in use (no tcp/ip).
>> I demonstrate in the (partial) trace below.

> It says "protocol adapter error", reporting that an error occurred in the
> transport layer, not network error!

Semantics.
Actually it says something about the adapter, nothing about layers.

>> Some firewalls stop programs from acting as server. Check if
>> that's the case. Microsofts firewall just gets in, and starts
>> blocking without *any* conformation. Zonealarm will ask for
>> confomation and does block "outgoing" traffic.

> How could this be releated to your local bequeath/piped connection?

How can you trace a bequeath connection (not piped, no named pipes, nor IPC configured)? You can. Just shown it. The oracle process acts as a server towards the "network". Even if that "network" is just the local machine (hence the quotes).

And why don't you just try it, and see what happens?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...