Re: connect to 7i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:04:45 +0100

On 9 Feb 2006 14:57:21 -0800, jreategui_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Hi all.
>First i have to say that i'm a newbie on oracle
> I have an server with oracle 7i on Unix.
>On my develop machine (wIndows XP) i need to install some client of
>oracle to access to my server.
>I tried installing oracle client 9i but i can't connect to the server.
>
>Someware i read that oracle client 9i can not connect to oracle 7i.
>Thats correct?????
>Can any body help me with this problem

Oracle7's last version was Oracle 7.3.4. It was desupported in the previous milennium, so 7.3 clients are no longer available. In the meantime Oracle completely revised sql*net 2.3 into Oracle Net, and Oracle Net can not connect to Oracle 7.3 Also, developing in Oracle 7.3 makes a bad impression on your resume, where 10g is the current version.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA