Re: Oracle 9i - Oracle nameserver deprecated in favour of LDAP + proxy

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 7 Feb 2006 17:12:29 -0800

wink.dinkerson_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Problem solved. I re-ran the install process for the Oracle Management
> Pack thingy. I selected custom install and had a good look and there
> it is under Oracle Net Services.
>
> I notice that on a client machine with an Oracle 8i client install,
> that Net8 Assistant crashes when I try to select the discovered Oracle
> 9i / Oracle Names server. It seems to have discovered the Oracle Names
> server OK so hopefully it won't cause a problem. Is this a known
> defect?

Yeah the 8i client and the Net8 Assistant have some definite issues at times. From what I remember when you made ( at some maintenance level ) manual changes to one or more of the client files ( tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora ) the GUI would just barf and couldn't deal with it. ( One workaround was to do all changes through the GUI ).

Thankfully that has gotten better.

Have you updated your sqlnet.ora with the names preferred server stuff? Received on Tue Feb 07 2006 - 19:12:29 CST