Re: Oracle Partitions & Global Indexes

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:08:03 +0100

dbaoracleind_at_yahoo.com schrieb:

> Since the data apparently is not required now, I am thinking of
> dropping the partitions which does not affect the status of the Global
> indexes. Is it necessary to rebuild the global indexes to reclaim space
> ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

If you drop table partitions, it always affect the status of global indexes (unless you use UPDATE GLOBAL INDEXES clause or your partitions are empty ), they become unusable.
If you drop table partitions with UPDATE GLOBAL INDEXES clause, then space occupied by global index is not reclaimed.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 04:08:03 CST