Re: System Modes QUIESCE / SUSPEND

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:03:29 GMT

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:41:25 +0100, Joachim Hofmann wrote:

> What I wanted to know: For which database tasks do I use ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND /
> ALTER SYSTEM RESUME and for which tasks do I use ALTER SYSTEM QUIESCE RESTRICTED
> /ALTER SYSTEM UNQUIESCE
> ?

Alter system quiesce restricted is restricted session mode on steroids. There are situations when you want to exclude anybody but SYS. In quiesce mode no session not belonging to SYS or SYSTEM can become active. Technically, it is a downtime command. If you must do some schema maintenance and you don't want anybody to bother you, you will use quiesce. Suspend stops I/O and should be used for splitting operations. And you are right: I should have mentioned putting all tablespaces in the backup mode.

--
http://www.mgogala.com