Re: Is there any predefined Oracle constants there denominate very large number ?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:08:14 GMT

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:26:42 -0800, Ranko.Mosic_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Regards, Ranko

I concur with others in this thread - the question was (and still is) difficult to follow.

Even more so, in that I am not sure whether you simply want the limits or coded constants. If limits, I suggest you can look at the Oracle SQL Reference documentation (for the version of interest, as limits may change by version).

I half suspect you were interested in the jumps such as are found in the various languages, such as BYTE, INT, etc. or FLOAT, DOUBLE. If so, one interesting thing about Oracle is that - until Oracle10g - all numbers are always stored as Oracle's datatype called 'NUMBER' which are defined

"
The NUMBER datatype stores zero, positive, and negative fixed and floating-point numbers with magnitudes between 1.0 x 10-130 and 9.9...9 x 10125 (38 nines followed by 88 zeroes) with 38 digits of precision. If you specify an arithmetic expression whose value has a magnitude greater than or equal to 1.0 x 10126, then Oracle returns an error. "

Thus, until Oracle10g, having the ranges defined is meaningless - it's always the same for all variants int->double.

/Hans Received on Wed Nov 30 2005 - 01:08:14 CST