Re: Oracle new tablespace

From: Yannick Effinger <y.effinger_at_ville-bischheim.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:50:17 +0100

Le Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:24:54 +0000, IANAL_VISTA a écrit :

> Yannick Effinger <y.effinger_at_ville-bischheim.fr> wrote in
>

>> Le Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:58:25 -0800, gazzag a écrit :
>>
>>> You want to read the Oracle Concepts Guide at tahiti.oracle.com.
>>>
>>> You don't understand the difference between databases and tablespaces.
>>
>> No, I don't think I'm confused about that. On our Oracle engine I can see
>> two databases (one for the tests, and one for production), and in each I
>> can see tablespaces for every application we host (the same set on both
>> the databases). And in the tnsnames.ora/listener.ora, I can read a line
>> for every tablespace with the server IP and a specific port for each.

> Yes, you ARE confused!
> NOTHING in tnsnames.ora or listener.ora ever contains any information
> regarding tablespsaces.
>
> Tablespaces & SQL*Net know nothing about each other & have ZERO
> relationship to each other.
>
> If you insist you point of view is valid, please post a URL
> starting on http://tahiti.oracle.com
> to any Oracle documentation supporting your (incorrect) assertions.
>

> http://download-
> west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c04space.htm#975
>
> A database is divided into one or more logical storage units called
> tablespaces. Tablespaces are divided into logical units of storage called
> segments, which are further divided into extents. Extents are a collection
> of contiguous blocks.

I got around my problem. I was foolished by DBA studio. I thought it was auto-detecting the databases available on the system and so assumed that there were only two databases created by my predecessors. Once I found out that you need to add them into the database-tree by yourself, everything went clear for me. :-) Received on Fri Nov 25 2005 - 10:50:17 CST