Slow tnsping

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:00:12 +0100

Hi,

We have a Windows 2000 COM+ application server which seems to have a strange network issue when trying to reach the database server (8.1.7.4 on AIX 5.2). Tnsping seems to "hang" once in while (>2500 ms reply). Ping sometimes gives "request timed out" (but less than tnsping). I already tried adding a second listener and doing tnsping to that one but this didn't help, so I don't think the listener is "overloaded". Tnsping from other servers to the same database server doesn't show this behaviour. Sqlplus sometimes hangs for some seconds. I suspect some bizarre network or routing problem but i'm not sure how to debug this further. I enabled sqlnet tracing on the application server but didn't find anything "weird" in the trace file. I used statspack to generate a report for a 1 hour period and 12% of the waits are related to the "SQL*Net break/reset to client" event. There are about 2 logons per second.

Any ideas ????

Matthias Received on Thu Nov 24 2005 - 14:00:12 CST