Re: oracle benchmark

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:14:48 -0800

blarut wrote:
> I want to check "how fast" the server reply for sql statment. I want to
> check how many memory is in use in defined time.
> I want to use oracle 9i and Windows XP.

With apologies ... in advance ... I'm going to be harsh here because you deserve it straight just as I'd give it to one of my own students.

What you describe is meaningless.

How fast will likely have nothing to do with the products but rather be a measure of you ability, or ineptness, installing them, configuring them, building schemas, and performing optimization.

Lets say you want to create a simple table "T" in Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, Informix, and Sybase with two columns: PERSON_ID and PERSON_NAME.

Do you know the difference between heap tables, IOTs, partitioned and subpartitioned tables, etc.? How are you going to choose the appropriate table types? Or do you have even rudimentary knowledge of index types? Can you tell the difference between BTree, RTree, TTree, Bitmapped, Compressed, Cluster, Local, Global, Reverse Key, Function Based, etc.? Do you understand the implications of different ways to collect statistics and how the optimizers will use them? And I'm just getting started. This is at least a 3 hour lecture.

Do you have the technical ability to determine whether results are slow because data is being read from disk or fast because it is cached in memory?

I'd suggest you find a different project or find an advisor that can devote to your project some very serious time.

As I said above, if you were my student, I'd do everything I could to pursuade you this is not a good project. Your instructor should too.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org