9i to 10g migration

From: Dave <Nospam_at_PublicAccessuNIX.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:29:58 -0500

OK, Im having a bit of difficulty here and hoping that the knowledgeable folks here at cdos can help me out:

We are upgrading a 9iR1 database to 10gR2. At the same time, we are upgrading the hardware. Both platforms are Win2K. Right now, I am attempting to transfer the 9i instances to the 10g server. I had thought I could do this with RMAN and the DUPLICATE command. However, this doesnt seem to work out: RMAN ends with the following error:

printing stored script: Memory Script
{

   Alter clone database open resetlogs;
}
executing script: Memory Script

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00579: the following error occurred at 11/20/2005 09:49:29 RMAN-10039: error encountered while polling for RPC completion on channel clone_default
RMAN-10006: error running SQL statement: select act from x$ksusex where sid=:1 and serial=:2
RMAN-10002: ORACLE error: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: Duplicate Db
RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: alter db
RMAN-06136: ORACLE error from auxiliary database: ORA-01092: ORACLE instance
terminated. Disconnection forced
RMAN-06097: text of failing SQL statement: alter database open resetlogs
RMAN-06099: error occurred in source file: krmk.pc, line: 23265
RMAN-04014: startup failed: ORA-32004: obsolete and/or deprecated
parameter(s) specified

Recovery Manager complete.

Examination of the alert log indicates that the following obsolete and depreciated parameters are listed in the pfile:

Obsolete system parameters with specified values:   enqueue_resources
End of obsolete system parameter listing Deprecated system parameters with specified values:

  log_archive_start
  max_enabled_roles
  sql_trace

End of deprecated system parameter listing

So my first question is: Where can I find how to enable similar functionality in 10g? Of particular concern to me is log_archive_start. (If I have to disable the others for the time being, it shouldnt affect much.) I am not finding the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide helpful in this regard as it only tells me that the parameter is depreicated.

However, I am unsure that this is the actual problem as I can start and stop the instance manually(without opening it) and while I get a warning, it works. The docs indicate that this is expected, a warning, but the db will open. Futher examination of the alert.log indicates the following additional error, which I suspect may be the actual problem:

Sun Nov 20 09:49:25 2005
SMON: enabling cache recovery
Sun Nov 20 09:49:26 2005
Errors in file d:\oracle\admin\udump\orcl\orcl_ora_900.trc: ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure
ORA-39700: database must be opened with UPGRADE option

Sun Nov 20 09:49:26 2005
Error 704 happened during db open, shutting down database USER: terminating instance due to error 704 Sun Nov 20 09:49:26 2005
Errors in file d:\oracle\admin\bdump\orcl\orcl_pmon_684.trc: ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure

This ORA-00704 is repeated several times, followed by:

Instance terminated by USER, pid = 900
ORA-1092 signalled during: alter database open resetlogs... <EOF>

I thought there might be an UPGRADE option to the DUPLICATE command, but docs do not seem to list one. I would appreciate any input as to what I am screwing up here, or how to accomplish what I am trying to do. I would prefer not to copy the os files over as that would require an outage of the production db to develop the test db, and a longer outage when we switch over, but that seems to be the only option right now.

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,
Dave Received on Mon Nov 21 2005 - 08:29:58 CST