Re: Oracle Grid Control vs 8i/9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:08:49 +0100

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:38:28 +0100, "Matthias Hoys" <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We currently use Enterprise Manager 9.2 to monitor Oracle 8.0.5, 8i and 9i
>databases. This runs on a dedicated management server. The problem is that
>EM 9.2 can not monitor 10g databases.
>Questions :
>- can I install Oracle 10g Grid Control on the same manegement server in
>parallel with the EM 9.2 installation ?
>- can I use 10g Grid Control to monitor 8i and 9i databases ?
>- if yes, what management agent (10g ?) do I need to install on the 8i and
>9i servers ? We currently use the 9i agent (in a separate Oracle home) on
>all 8i and 9i servers.
>

>Thanks
>Matthias

Sorry to say so, but posting in this group is no replacement for not doing your homework. People should not rely on others willing to read their manuals on their behalf and abstracting them free of charge. It is an established and documented fact that Oracle 10g can't connect to 8i. It doesn't matter either as 8i has been desupported in ancient history and 8.0.5 is paleolithic.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA