Re: 10g RAC: max performance & min cost with miSCSI?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:45:46 -0800

Heikki Siltala wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> we are currently choosing which path to take in our Oracle database
> environment renewal process. What we want is 1) reliability 2) minimun
> downtime 3) maximum peformance 4) minimum cost. Sounds easy? :-) Due to
> reliability and minimun downtime requirements we are planning to build a
> 2 node Linux Oracle 10g RAC. To get maximum performance we have to focus
> on the disk system peformance. To minimize the cost we are planning to
> run the nodes 1 CPU each since Oracle lisences are per CPU. 2 CPU per
> node would require us for purchasing Enterprise Edition licenses, RAC
> licenses, OLAP and partitioning licenses etc. 1 CPU per node requires
> only a RAC license for 2 CPU since we have already everything else for 2
> CPUs. A detailed calculation showed that 1 CPU per node cost in our case
> only 25 percent in terms of Oracle licensing costs compared to 2 CPU per
> node alternative.
>
> I have started the desing from the IO peformance. I have never seen an
> Oracle database environment where CPU is the bottleneck. The bottleneck
> seems almost always be on the disk system so starting the design on disk
> system seems the right way to go. I have taken a goal to build a system
> that offers enough IO bandwidth to saturate the CPUs (1 CPU per node, 2
> nodes). Some materials suggest that a modern CPU can drive 200 MB/s (3
> GHz Xeon). Since we have 2 CPUs on RAC the disk system should be able to
> deliver 400 MB/s, let's say 500 MB/s to be safe. Assuming that the
> physical disks is typically the weakest point on IO performance I
> started to build it up from there. Using SAME (stripe and mirror
> everything) the IO load on disk will be random, not sequental. I assume
> a 15k disk can deliver 25 MB/s of random IOs, so 500 MB/s system
> requires at least 20 disks.
>
> I have browsed thru the storage solutions of different vendors (Sun,
> Dell/EMC, Adaptec, HP, IBM). To limit the possiblites I focused first on
> HP's offerings. What we need is disk system that can hold 20 disks (and
> maybe some additional 300 GB 10k disk for disk-to-disk-to-tape backups
> etc) and deliver 500 MB/s. HP's MSA500 has not enough disk slots and
> MSA1000 can deliver only 200 MB/s. If we shift to more advanced storage
> systems, the price tag rises significantly. But wait, there is still an
> alternative for 2 node RAC. HP MSA30 MI is a multi-initiator U320 SCSI
> array with dual SCSI busses and ability to hold 14 drives (7 drive slots
> per bus). The list price seems to be about 4000 euros. The issue with
> MSA30 MI is that it doesn't support Xeon (HP Proliant) servers, only
> Itanium (HP Integrity) servers. I can't understand why on earth they
> have come up with this limitation! If using MSA20 MI and two Itanium 1
> CPU nodes, the disk configuration would be two MSA30 MI arrays, two
> busses each, so both nodes would need U320 SCSI HBAs for four SCSI
> [...]

I am a bit concerned with some of what you wrote ... and some of what you didn't write.

First: My understanding with Standard Edition is that it covers up to 4 CPUs. If that is still correct you might want to go for a 3 node or 4 node cluster. You never want to be ina position where taking a CPU off-line cuts your processing power by 50% and removes all failover capability.

Second: The last place I would look for a storage subsystem for RAC is "(Sun, Dell/EMC, Adaptec, HP, IBM)". Contact NetApp and specifically ask about the FAS250 and FAS270 series. They will save you a huge amount of grief as they eliminate the need for a cluster file system and/or ASM.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org