PostgreSQL 8.1 released with Bitmapped Indexes! and TPC!

From: Enlightened and Free <eaf_at_eafptl>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:10:20 -0500

Good afternoon believers,

A belated notice:

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group is proud to announce the release of PostgreSQL 8.1, the world's most advanced open source database.

Whatsnew:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew

"Improved Multiprocessor (SMP) Performance: the buffer manager for 8.1 has been enhanced to scale almost linearly with the number of processors, leading to significant performance gains on 8-way, 16-way, dual-core, and multi-core CPU servers."

Clustering addon:
http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/

Oracle: 1 processor? $40,000 2 Processors? $80,000 etc. sorry ..its $72,000 with the discount.

PGSQL: 1 processor? $0 2 Processors? $0 on and on .. etc.

  In my opinion, don't get caught up with the free Oracle hype. Its has limitations .. 1 CPU 1Gb RAM, 4G db size, you can only wipe your ass once using 2 pieces of toilet paper only etc. In my opinion, you will still succumb to vendor lock in and will be subject someone elses rules, salesman abuse, complex lic. compliance issues etc.

  Why not pick something where you can do whatever you please without having to look over you back?

 To be truly free and control your destiny, financial or other wise, pick OSS and PGSQL. Also don't just demand free, demand the Oracle DB source code.

 In my opinion paying for software to big monolithic companies is going the way of button-down shoes. In my opinion, use your company money to employ human beings and distribute the wealth to families, instead of paying for overpriced software and sending it to monolithic software companies to support the (in my opinion)decadent overcompensated lifestyles.

You are feeding a monster that will bugger you and devour you and everything else in the end. Peoplesoft..... Think! Don't be stupid.

  Keep your options open and do not listen to the pay-software zealots on this group and the buggery they preach.

So until we meet again... keep the faith! Received on Tue Nov 15 2005 - 12:10:20 CST