Re: Which tower?

From: <jbmorla_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2005 11:03:50 -0800

Hi Andreas,

As OS I plan to use Red Hat Linux. I tried windows and I jammed my pc like I never seen a computer jammed before. It's been a good while since I did any DBA so I never heard of ASM before, but it looks like I'd better jump on the bandwagon. I think the most important for the DBA is to keep the database down for as little as possible in case of disk or controller failure, so I want to see how to rebuild the ASM configuration using a spare disk (but maybe it's already been taken care of since you mention "failure disks").
But I also want to benchmark Oracle vs MySQL in terms of performance and ease of three-tier (Apache and PHP) application building and using (it's only a test database, that's why the redo will be on the same disk for a while).
Also I want to write DVD-RW UDF sequential writing archived logs redo code, either using a C library or finding a tool (something like Nero for Linux) that accepts parameters in the command line. I didn't find any Java package that deals with UDF yet. I don't know if UDF works over an USB line.
So at the moment the first step is to find a tower case high enough to accept all those disks.
I been to the biggest computer retail store in Paris and the salesman told me to go IDE.
You save me a lot of troubles; many thanks :-) J.B.
PS: If u want to sample the Beaujolais nouveau next Thursday, avoid the "Dubeuf", it's a fake. Received on Sun Nov 13 2005 - 13:03:50 CST