Re: parallel update and db file scattered read

From: <srivenu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2005 08:13:20 -0800

Hi tolga,
Unline parallel queries & INSERT's, I think its not possible for parallel UPDATE's and DELETE's to do direct read's. Lets take this scenario.
We are updating a 1000 block table in parallel. (lets say we are updating column A)
If oracle is doing direct read's that means the blocks will be read direclty into the PGA instead of the buffer cache. One of the parallel process is updating block 200. It updated row 1 and while updating row 2 it sees that the row is locked by another transaction (T2) from another session Now lets say that transaction T2 updated column B in row 2 of block 200.
Lets say after some time T2 commits.
Now if direct read occurs for the block how does oracle deal with this scenario ?
Now all blocks are read in current mode (as it is a DML) There is one version of the block in the PGA of the parallel process that has row 1 modified.
We have one version in the buffer cache that has row 2 modified. regards
srivenu Received on Tue Nov 08 2005 - 10:13:20 CST