Re: QUESTION: Stop 9i db from auto-registering in listener

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2005 14:26:16 -0800

right.

Since the test case was against a database instance that had restricted session enabled, it would make sense that it would block connection attempts to user accounts that did not have the sys_priv "restricted session" granted to it.

In previous releases such as Oracle 9i R2, an instance in restricted session could be connected to via the listener with an account that had been granted the sys_priv "restricted session", through the listener. I have tested this against 9.2.0.6 on w2k adv server sp4.

In 10.1.0.4 std ed on w2k3 standard edition sp1, the behavior changed.

So the difference in behavior of the various releases is what is being discussed.
It would have been helpful if you referred to which release of the documentation, as the behavior is apparently a function of the version of the database server product.

where this was a pain was if an application schema was being (change) mangled via a remote management host where in 9i R2, connections could be made by an account that did not have the sysdba role granted to it, but did have restricted session.

in 10g R1, that behavior was no longer supported.

if your change mangling software was compiled for win32 but the app schema resided in a database say on RHEL 3 update 5 and you had not ported the change mangler to bash ... you had to improvise.

One work-around was to fire up a different listener on a port unknown to users, and not place the instance in restricted session. That worked fine for me. I'm just mentioning this for completeness. Again, there was a change in behavior between releases. I'm not saying that one way is better than the other ... I'm just saying "that's the way it is" in my experience and in my test cases.

-bdbafh Received on Mon Nov 07 2005 - 16:26:16 CST