Oracle needs to be restarted to accept new connections

From: DavidDublin <davidcotter_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2005 03:01:08 -0800

Hello,

Over time (a few weeks) my Oracle 9i server on Linux begings to take a long time to open a connection (say 30 seconds to start sqlplus).

I have about 50 remote JDBC connections open that are distributed over 10 or so tomcat web applications and these too begin to cause trouble where opening connections timeout.

I'm pretty sure I do not have any connection or cursor leaks.

If I restart Oracle the problem goes away.

I do not see anything in sqlnet.log or listener.log.

I have now set up a cron job that records open files (lsof), sockets (netstat), open connections and cursors (sqlplus) and processes (ps) that belong to oracle to see if there is a leak somewhere. I have also recorded different statuses like ESTABLISHED etc for the sockets.

Does anyone know if there are other things I should be monitoring to try to diagnose this problem.

Thanks,
David Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 05:01:08 CST