Re: FAQ - Etiquette - and how to get an answer

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:01:12 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

>>bbulsara23 wrote:
>>
>>>You are posting this same message again and again and the people

> that
>
>>>write the snarky unhelpful comments that start all the flame wars

> are
>
>>>not reading it. We all know if you ask a question in this newsgroup,

> I think some of those who flamebait do read it, and perhaps flame
> because of Daniel's and others posts. I don't think Daniel does any
> unsolicited flamebaiting. I think the worst flamebaiting comes from
> those who feel baited by some of the regulars posts. Perhaps the worst
> are confusing a direct and honest reply to their posts with a personal
> attack. Perhaps the posts you call snarky could or should be ensconsed
> in fine alpaca wool. This is usenet, lack of social grace is an
> honored tradition. Generally taking the high road, polite pointers
> towards netiquette are all you should really do to respond if you don't
> want to be seen as a pot calling the kettle black.

By way of apology, or explanation, if any so wish it.

I run a consulting firm, teach two classes for the University of Washington, one to Amazon.com employees, am putting together white papers for Apple and Oracle on RAC, have a sail boat I am trying to get ready for summer, and don't get paid one cent for the time I spend here.

Thus when I hit the groups, several times a day when possible, it is just a quick read through with short succinct answers. If you want flowerly prose read Sybrand's comments. If you want the responses of someone that takes more time then I could suggest many others such as Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, Richard Foote, Hans Forbrich, et. al.

If saying someone needs to not proceed offends some so be it. It is advice given because I see the dangers in those not well trained possibly causing more harm than good.

I hope I never use obscenities, hope I never flame (except perhaps spammers and returning the favour to those from the DB2 side because they have no sense of humor), and apologize when given reason to think I've done wrong.

But the truth be told ... I am one of the few that posts my real name, real email address, and I get a lot of private emails. The vast majority positive. Were that to change ... I would too.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington