Re: dbwr and lgwr don't shutdown

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:44:53 GMT

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:34:37 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:20:13 GMT, HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:
>

>>1) Are you saying this is NFS and not SAN or NAS?  That leads to a
>>possible area of interest.

> Isn't SAN or NAS always running on top of NFS? The older versions of

That's not quite the way I learned it, but I won't argue (too much) - except with the 'always' word. <g>

> NFS use the UDP protocol, which by definition is unsafe, as packet
> receipt is not acknowlegded by the receiving party.

This is heading in the same direction I was heading - the current SAN/NAS protocols tend to be safe, whereas pure NFS has been known to cause 'write-confirmation' issues on occasion.

In addition, I note there are different versions of Solaris. I have no idea whether the filesystem [drivers] are identical.

No matter which way I look, this points at a filesystem issue, not an Oracle issue. I'd need to eliminate that first before pointing back at Oracle.

/Hans Received on Thu Mar 31 2005 - 14:44:53 CST