dbwr and lgwr don't shutdown

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:10:22 GMT

This is a weird issue.

We have a machine (v880/solaris8/latest recommended patch cluster), where a particular Standard Edition 9.2.0.5 database shuts down 'cleanly' yet leaves two processes behind, which we cannot kill unless reboot. The same database (storage attached to multiple machines) on a solaris7/e4500 machine comes up/shuts down fine. (i tiried to shutdown the rest with aborts, as you can see from the logs, didn't help)

Any idea?
here's a log from shutdown on v880

Thu Mar 31 10:28:50 2005
Shutting down instance: further logons disabled Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark = 4

Waiting for dispatcher 'D000' to shutdown
Waiting for dispatcher 'D001' to shutdown
Waiting for dispatcher 'D002' to shutdown
Waiting for dispatcher 'D003' to shutdown
All dispatchers and shared servers shutdown Thu Mar 31 10:28:54 2005
ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
Thu Mar 31 10:28:54 2005
SMON: disabling tx recovery
SMON: disabling cache recovery
Thu Mar 31 10:28:54 2005
Shutting down archive processes
Archiving is disabled
Archive process shutdown avoided: 0 active Thread 1 closed at log sequence 1015
Successful close of redo thread 1
Thu Mar 31 10:28:54 2005
Completed: ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
Thu Mar 31 10:28:54 2005
ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT
Completed: ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT
ARCH: Archiving is disabled
Shutting down archive processes
Archiving is disabled
Archive process shutdown avoided: 0 active ARCH: Archiving is disabled
Shutting down archive processes
Archiving is disabled
Archive process shutdown avoided: 0 active .......
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Mar 31 2005 - 12:10:22 CST