Re: 2 * Oracle opdracht in Amstelveen

From: Paul <paulsnewsgroups_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:31:39 +0100

"Dusan Bolek" <spambin_at_seznam.cz> wrote:

>I think that there is an unwritten guideline proposing usage of English
>in all non-language specific (without country prefix) USENET groups.

There is? First time I've heard of it! Go to some of the French groups (French Canadian are the best) and watch what happens when someone asks a question in English.

There is no rule (written or unwritten) that one is *_obliged_* to post in English - it may be the majority posting language, but it is *_not_* an obligation.

If the charter clearly states that the language of the group is "x", then I would agree with you, but that is not the case with oracle.server.

>After all, this is a communication medium and any communication can be
>effective only using the same communication protocol (i.e. language) by
>all participants.

However, some participants may not have a sufficient level of English to participate in that language, but may be able to do so in, say, French. Those who speak French are free to reply. Likewise for <insert your favourite language here...>.

As far as I'm concerned, if the charter of the group does not specifically specify English as the language of the group, then the linguisto-fascists can go screw themselves - this is a mutual self help forum - if you can't help the poster out in the language that they use, then don't help them.

You might be able to understand enought of their problem in the language that they have written to be able to explain in English (or another language), but not reply to them in the language that they originally used, but rather in your own or English. Then, feel free to do so. But *_DON'T_* tell people on this group what language they should write in.

Paul... <trilingual (and hopefully soon 4)>

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.2.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system and version of db being used.
Thanks.

Furthermore, As a courtesy to those who spend
time analyzing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.