Re: Some RMAN Guidance

From: Eberhard Niendorf <eberhard.niendorf_schrott_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:18 +0200

rspeaker wrote:

> Hi, new to RMAN and have a few questions. Using Oracle 10g on AIX 5L.
> My plan was to implement RMAN hot backups, full, every night. The
> backups will be run to a disk staging area, which will later be backed
> up to tape using TSM. If I'm doing full backups every night, what
> should I set the recovery window to? If I set it to say, 14, but only
> have enough space in my staging area to hold 7 days worth (the rest are
> in TSM), can I later restore a backupset from TSM into the staging
> area, and have RMAN recognize it, as long as it is within the recovery
> window? Alternatively does anyone know of any good docs on integrating
> RMAN and TSM so I can back up directly to TSM? Thanks.

TDPoracle (Tivoli Data Protection) is the Oracle MMI from Tivoli to backup directly to Tape. I recommend to use this TSM component. There are a red book from IBM for using TDPoracle
(http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246249.html?Open). It is for an older version, but good for an overview.

Eberhard Niendorf Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 14:33:18 CST