DISPLAY xhost Report Server

From: Joe Pike <none_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:20:57 +0200

Hi,

I have a question about having an Oracle report server access the :0 Display on a Red Hat AS2.1 server.

Ideally the Oracle report server should be started during boot time. I put the report server startup script in rc.local. This startup script sets variable 'DISPLAY=:0' -> so the report server should have access to an X server

This always causes problems (the infamous 'Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server').
To get the report server going, someone has to logon to the console of the server, type 'xhost +localhost', and then run the report server startup script again.
Not really the best way to do this...

I guess the easiest way to solve this is to install something like VNC, and put the VNC startup script in rc.local, right before the report server startup script. Should probably work and get rid of the 'xhost' problems.

Otherwise maybe setup something like the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE stuff, will that also avoid the 'xhost' problems?

Or is there maybe a way to 'xhost +localhost' right after the X server is started
Google found some stuff about adding 'xhost +localhost' to the '~/.xinitrc' file.
It seems the '/etc/X11/X' runs under user root, but root's '.xinitrc' is nowhere to be found.

I'm just wondering how other shops handle this situation.

many thanks in advance.
joe. Received on Sun Mar 27 2005 - 15:20:57 CST