Re: Achtung!

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2005 13:46:11 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:14:34 GMT, Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
wrote:

> >If we have Spanglish, can this be called Germglish? ;-)
> >
> >I recall seeing this particular paragraph (minus the modern
references
> >to lusers and various Oracle components, of course) posted by my
high
> >school math department chairman near the DEC PDP-8i (first computer
> >ever had the thrill of crashing). As your sig link demonstrates,
it's
> >startling how the Internet makes persistent the heretofore ephemeral

> >memories of youth...

First job had one of those, but they wouldn't let me touch it. It was used to control a circuit-board stuffing machine, programmed by an outside firm in Assembler, with eight inch floppies. My first personal PDP was an 11/23, I traded the floppies and some db work to a hardware guy who hacked it into an 11/23+. One of these days I'll hook it up to the net... :-)

> We had the same notice on the door of our server room in the late
80's
> There was a PDP-11/70 from 1974 in that room, together with a VAX
> 11/750 and a Microvax.

In the early '80's, I worked at a place that had that same configuration (plus an 11/44 or two, and I'm unsure about the uVax), and the same notice. Not the same place you mention, since it was gone by '85, and was in the US. Briefly ran Oracle on the 750.

I wrote the OP because I saw a bright yellow sign with it at a model-train show a few weeks ago, cracked us all up. It certainly looked familiar, but I couldn't think of from where, until I saw your post just now and it all came back. TKB forever! And ever and ever and ever...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.pages/stories.html