Re: Design alternatives for Unload of Oracle data to pipe

From: Ronald Rood <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:30:39 +0100

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:17:20 +0100, DA Morgan wrote (in article <1111594430.586039_at_yasure>):

> peteh wrote:
>

>> Hello Oracle experts;
>> We are moving large amounts of data on a regularly scheduled basis from
>> an Oracle (9i AIX) OLTP application to a multi-terabyte DB2 UDB (DB2 PE
>> 8.1.5 - also AIX) database. We are very experienced data warehouse

>> * We are interested in a "pull" type process where the data warehouse
>> box kicks off and manages as much of the processing as possible, so we
>> have installed the Oracle client on the DW box and plan to use as much
>> of our existing control processes and scripts as possible - much of
>> which is written in Perl (some C, some Korn).

>> Questions:
>> * Is there any way for us to interrogate a SQLCA-like message area
>> using this method or should we pursue an alternate design?
>>
>> * What other methods would you all suggest? A direct JDBC or Perl-DBI
>> interface? How to drop the output into a pipe?
>>
>> Am most interested in hearing your perspectives. Thanks in advance for
>> any useful suggestions or code samples!

> As your data warehouse appears to be home grown my suggestion would be
> to upgrade it to 10g for several reasons such as 8.1.5 being
> desupported and 10g having a far superior optimizer and performance.
>
> If you did that you could use transportable tablespaces, streams, and
> the new DBMS_SCHEDULER package not to mention getting your resume
> current to this millenium.
>
> I would expect the improvements will be substantial in all areas.

The op mentioned
<snip>
from Oracle (9i AIX) OLTP application to a multi-terabyte DB2 UDB (DB2 PE 8.1.5 - also AIX)
<snip>
so this won't help him.
I think easiest would be perl/dbi. If you can make db2 use oracle Q's it could be of some use.

With kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten, Ronald

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle Received on Wed Mar 23 2005 - 10:30:39 CST