Design alternatives for Unload of Oracle data to pipe

From: peteh <phazzard_at_intellicare.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2005 07:02:44 -0800

Hello Oracle experts;
We are moving large amounts of data on a regularly scheduled basis from an Oracle (9i AIX) OLTP application to a multi-terabyte DB2 UDB (DB2 PE 8.1.5 - also AIX) database. We are very experienced data warehouse developers and have a fairly robust homegrown batch architecture for provisioning data from mainframe sources and federated DB2s on daily and weekly cycles.

This is our first major effort using Oracle as a data source and I'm struggling with the best way to officially integrate into our existing architecture. Here is what we have done so far:
* We are interested in a "pull" type process where the data warehouse
box kicks off and manages as much of the processing as possible, so we have installed the Oracle client on the DW box and plan to use as much of our existing control processes and scripts as possible - much of which is written in Perl (some C, some Korn).

Questions:
* Is there any way for us to interrogate a SQLCA-like message area
using this method or should we pursue an alternate design?

Am most interested in hearing your perspectives. Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions or code samples! Received on Wed Mar 23 2005 - 09:02:44 CST