Re: getString() crashes on Java Stored Procedure: known bug?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:41:08 +0100

Francesco Galli wrote:
> Greetings folks,
> I'm the maintainer for a old legacy system running as a mission-critical
> application for a customer of mine.
>
> Among all the components of this complex, oracle-based system is a Java
> Stored Procedure called "Generatore" (english: Generator) which takes
> content from the database and creates html files based on certain
> database-stored criteria.
>
> When calling this procedure, certain data causes the procedure to crash. I
> know for certain that the getString(int index) method of the ResultSet class
> crashes when processing the following string:
>
> março 2005
>
> but it happens also with other strings. The .trc files recites the
> following:
>
> Dump file /work02/orcl/udump/ora_9276.trc
> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning and Java options
> PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> ORACLE_HOME = /work01/oracle/product/8.1.5
> System name: OSF1
> Node name: <edited>
> Release: V4.0
> Version: 878
> Machine: alpha
> Instance name: orcl
> Redo thread mounted by this instance: 1
> Oracle process number: 13
> Unix process pid: 9276, image: oracle@<machine> (TNS V1-V3)
>
> *** SESSION ID:(13.2295) 2005.03.21.10.21.58.440
> at java.lang.System.arraycopy(System.java)
> at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.getBytesInternal(OracleStatement.java)
> at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.getStringValue(OracleStatement.java)
> at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSet.getString(OracleResultSet.java)
> at <customer>.Generatore.Generatore.Recupera_dati(Generatore:223)
> at <customer>.Generatore.Generatore.Genera_news(Generatore:470)
>
> the machine is running AIX with JDK 1.1.4.
>
> It seems from the stack trace that the error comes from the JDK and not from
> the package, and this hypotesis is confirmed by that fact that each and
> every getString in the code with "special" characters fails.
>
> Is it a known bug? is there any know issues about running Oracle 8.1.5.0.0
> with jdk 1.1.4 that causes the problem? Any patches? I'm totally clueless
> here...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Francesco

something called classes12.zip in your classpath? There should at least be a classes11.zip; that does not support special characters (UTF, actually), the -12 does.

Not sure whether the filename was classes, though - could be something else - the 11 and 12 are sure.
Sorry - don't have anything the like at this machine

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel