Re: Dumb question about upgrading from 9.0.1 to 9.2

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 18 Mar 2005 07:01:07 -0800

snip
> I chose the install software only option since I don't want to
> create a new database, just upgrade my existing instances. So the
software
> installs fine. Now I have software in the 9.0.1 directory and the
9.2
> directory. Now, currently my $ORACLE_HOME directory still points to
my
> 9.0.1 software. As does my $PATH. The next step in the upgrade
process
> according to the database migration doc is to run the Database
Upgrade
> assistant. Now, here is my question. How do I know which version of
the
> Database Upgrade assistant I am going to get ? Do I have to go to
the 9.2
> bin directory and run it from there ?

Nick usually people have more than one version of a file that ( somehow ) gets dotted in and sets the oracle environment variables.

For example you might have a file .9iPRODenv and a file .9iNEWenv ... the NEW env file would have the ORACLE_HOME set for the 9.2 install ( and whatever else might be needed that is different ).

You need to correctly set the 9.2 paths before you run stuff like the upgrade assistant etc.

After things look good and you are done, people usually then update the .9iPRODenv ( or whatever you are using ) to the new settings.

Don't forget that things like this apply also to whatever you are doing to start the database listener, the instances, etc.

Does this help? All of this is pretty well documented by oracle. Received on Fri Mar 18 2005 - 09:01:07 CST