Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Stu Charlton <stuartcharlton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2005 14:25:54 -0800

Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<42357a24$0$21025$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>...

> Show me ONE Java or J2EE or XML project that has resulted in LESS
> code being written.
>
> One!

I was involved with a project last year that used SOAP/XML to compose together multiple seperate apps (a CRM package, Tuxedo, CICS/IMS, J2EE, and an Oracle database).

The client app invoked a request, it queried Oracle to figure out which systems should be called, fanned out to the systems in parallel, joined the results together with XQuery, and returned the result. All in under 3 seconds (sometimes under half a second if fewer systems were called). Though the load wasn't huge -- perhaps 10 inbound TPS.

The amount of code written was piddly, maybe a couple thousand lines of code. The bulk of the work was testing and boundary case handling. End-to-end it was maybe 3 months of work with two developers and a part-time architect (me).

Though it wasn't raw J2EE, it used BEA WebLogic Integration, which is built on J2EE but has a very different feel. Fair disclaimer, I work for BEA, but I don't speak for them, and I didn't work for them when I was on that project.

> I have yet to see ONE project using either XML or J2EE that hasn't
> resulted in massive "refactoring" (read: re-design and re-development)
> once someone wants to expand the base delivered functionality.

That was my experience up until 2002, definitely. People used XML everywhere, and poorly. There still are lots of systems underway with this problem. But lately I've found you can do a lot of good with it, with very little code, *IF* you know to use XML for what it's good at -- extensible data representation and interchange. And this only works if you know how to design your XML documents and processing code to allow (and ignore) tags it doesn't recognize.

Cheers
Stu Received on Thu Mar 17 2005 - 16:25:54 CST