Re: Oracle Internet Directory experience?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:04:33 +0100

GreyBeard wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:58:13 +0100, Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>>Ah - yes. Uptime (more 9's), not performance (although I could
>>imagine getting thru to one of twelve OID servers may be faster
>>than getting thru to that one.)

> Please 'splain more.
>
> Since database can be RAC'd, you get serious uptime from OiD that doesn't
> need dup'd big servers. Add the fact that OiD servers can then go on
> small boxes scattered where-ever and talk to the RAC'd data store via
> SQLNet, and these can then be load balanced thru h/w, etc. ... I don't
> follow your comment.
>
> /FGB
Well - you described it perfectly for someone who doesn't follow. :)
I just left out RAC in my mental picture (which I should have drawn to the audience): kinda like HTTP server farms: all small boxes doing the same (and OiD is not a large database!), h/w load balancing - just the picture you describe (without RAC)

My experience is with OiD (the 8i version), though. Sniffed 9i, but got bitten by the Wallet manager.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel