Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:43:12 -0500

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1110809830.28634_at_yasure...
> Mark C. Stock wrote:
>
>> "IANAL_VISTA" <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in

>>>Please post a working/reproducable example or a URL to same.
>>

>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/xml/xmldb/XDBBasicDemo.zip
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/xml/xmldb/XDBBasicDemo.pdf
>>
>> both found on
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/xml/xmldb/index.html
>>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> Please describe your preferred architecture for the following typical
>> scenario:
>>
>> Customer X generates XML purchase orders (format non-negotiable, we are
>> one of 3000 vendors that receive the same format)
>> System R (which we are architecting and have full control over) receives
>> the XML document electronically, fulfills it, and sends an XML response.
>>
>> What would you use for processing the incoming XML document?
>> How would you keep an official record of the customer's order?
>> What would you use to extract the data from the incoming document?
>> What would you use to generate the response document?
>>
>> ++ mcs
>
> I think this is a perfectly valid use of XML.
> You are using it for information exchange between multiple systems.
> But I'd not store one bit of it anywhere.
> I'd store the data relationally and create any required XML on the fly
> but solely for the purpose of data exchange.
> Every other access (think reporting) should be purely relational.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

perfectly reasonable -- haven't read your other two newer posts yet, though ;-)

i would opt for archiving the original doc in the database, though.

it then become a question of how and when to transform/extract the data from teh XML document into relational storage

++ mcs Received on Mon Mar 14 2005 - 08:43:12 CST