Re: Oracle .Net Problem

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2005 03:38:20 -0800

kengie99_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am getting an "ORA-6413: Connection not open" when using Oracle's
> .Net Data Provider. Before I was getting an ORA-12154 but that is
> resolved when I have add the code from tnsnames.ora, but I am getting
> "ORA-6413. I can't see anything wrong with the Coding. Please help.
> Many Thanks!
>

> My code is:
>
> connectionString = "Data Source=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS
> = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX)(PORT =
> XXXX)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME = XXX)));User
Id=XXX;Password=XXX;"

That is a somewhat unusual connection string. It will work, but a more normal value for data source would be the tnsnames alias in the tnsnames.ora file.

All that aside the error message has an associated cause and action in the online help

ORA-06413: Connection not open.

    Cause: Unable to establish connection.     Action: Use diagnostic procedures to ascertain exact problem.

This may not be hugely helpful, but the error message is right in the middle of a group of error messages about connection manager. In either case the appropriate course of action would be

1, make sure you can connect using sqlplus from the same Oracle home as the .net provider is installed
2, if you can then enable sqlnet tracing and at the same time log a tar with support. I'd run the trace first and read it to see if it throws any obvious errors.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com Received on Mon Mar 14 2005 - 05:38:20 CST